Thursday, November 3, 2011

Body Piercings and Regret

Body piercing is when a hole is made in your skin or through a part of your body so you can add a piece of jewelry for decoration. Body piercings have developed into an art form, and they are popular among many different cultures and societies today. Some of the most common piercings today are the navel, eyebrows, ears, and tongue. The less popular are male and female genital piercings, nipples, and septum. These maybe less popular than the others but they are still being done.



Piercings on your ear lobes usually take about 6-8 weeks to heal. However, piercings on the side of your ear (cartilage) can take anywhere from 4 months to 1 year to heal. I got my cartilage piercings 1 year and 4 months ago. My sister wanted them for her birthday but did not want to do it alone.

For more than a year I suffered with the sea salt soaks and running them under hot water in the shower. The sea salt soaks were per the instructions of the piercer. No matter what I did my ears were consistently sore and infected from these piercings. They were supposed to take up to a year to heal, but I was still dealing the same problems sixteen months later. For this reason I took my piercings out, I felt I gave them more than a fair chance to heal.

Your piercings will know that you are stressed before you do. Having your body pierced other than your earlobes are like having a child to take care of. If you don't do what you are supposed to do when you are supposed to do it, they are screaming in protest.

If you are still convinced that getting a body piercing is the right thing for you, do your homework. Check out all the risks related to the type of piercing that you are getting. Then if you still want to proceed, check out the piercing studios. They are usually located with tattoo shops. Interview your piercer, make sure they have been trained and have adequate experience.

I love the look of the piercing in the upper ear cartilage but it is definitely not worth the work. I highly recommend against getting any body piercing if you don't have the time or are extremely sensitive to piercings. I have problems with my regular earlobe piercings and should have known that I would have problems with the others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment